Types of Aid | BSCTC

Types of Aid

How do I apply for financial aid?

  1. Apply for your FSA ID. Use your FSA ID to access your personal records and electronically sign federal student aid documents. If you are a dependent student a parent must also obtain a FSA ID to provide their signature on the financial aid application.
  2. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and always provide an e-mail account.
  3. Watch your e-mail for your Student Aid Report (SAR).
  4. Contact us, if you need more help.


When combined with free scholarship and other financial aid opportunities, grants can significantly decrease, if not completely cover, your financial needs. Unlike loans, grants do not need to be repaid. Unlike federal work-study there is no labor involved. When you submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), you are automatically considered for government need-based grants.

  • Pell Grant: The Pell Grant is one of the most popular types of federal financial aid. You are not required to pay back a Pell Grant after you graduate.
  • CAP Grant: The College Access Program (CAP) grants are awarded to Kentucky residents enrolled in at least six semester hours (half time). To qualify for a CAP Grant, the total Expected Family Contribution (EFC) toward your educational expenses cannot exceed $6,195. CAP Grants are awarded on a first come, first serve basis. You may login to KHEAA and view your account to see if you received the CAP grant or any additional state scholarships. You are not required to pay back a CAP grant.
  • FSEOG Grant: A Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) is for undergraduates with the lowest Expected Family Contribution (EFC). You are not required to pay back an FSEOG after you graduate. Not every eligible student will receive an FSEOG. Students at Big Sandy Community and Technical College will be awarded an FSEOG based on availability of funds.

Federal Work-Study

Based on your financial need, the Federal College Work-Study Program can provide you a job, allowing you to earn money to help pay education expenses. The program encourages community service work and work related to your course of study whenever possible. Most work-study jobs are on-campus, but some jobs are located in private nonprofit organizations or public agencies.


Federal loans are the largest source of student loans available and with more favorable terms than private loans; therefore, you should try to obtain federal loans before private whenever possible.

The Federal Stafford Loan Program provides financial assistance through lenders to expand higher education opportunities for undergraduate, graduate, and professional students attending post secondary schools at least half-time. Two types of loans are available:

1. Subsidized Stafford Loan, which is based on financial need. The government will pay a portion of the interest you accumulate on this loan, and you repay the balance.

2. Unsubsidized Stafford Loan, which does not require students to demonstrate financial need. Students must repay this loan in its entirety, including interest.

Applying for a Student Loan

You must first complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and elect that you are interested in receiving a student loan. Once your financial aid file is complete with BSCTC, you must log into your Student Self Service account and go to the Loan Request link in the Financial Aid area and complete the process. After requesting a Direct Loan, you must visit www.studentaid.gov and complete both of the following before your loan will completely process:

  • Online Entrance Counseling
  • Electronically sign your Master Promissory Note (MPN).

When do I have to repay my loan?

You receive a six-month grace period before starting repayment on Direct Loans after dropping below half-time study, graduation from college, or leaving school for other reasons.

What is the interest rate on a student loan?

The rate can change per year; however, the rate should not rise above 8.25%

Applying for a scholarship

Each student must complete a BSCTC Scholarship Application located on our Scholarships page. Incomplete applications cannot be processed, making you ineligible for scholarships.

What types of scholarships are available at BSCTC?

We provide a variety of scholarships based on academic performance, financial need, academic program, and/or your county of residence. The scholarship office will determine which scholarship best fits your need.

Can I apply for other scholarships besides what BSCTC has to offer?

Yes, and we strongly encourage students to do so. Check with your high school guidance counselor for opportunities.