In 2020, Big Sandy Community and Technical College Started the Appalachian Solutions Cybersecurity Innovations Initiative. There are currently three grants which support the initiative.
- Mentorlinks-Afforded the college the latitude to start gathering information, making connections on the national level, and visioning the Cybersecurity outreach.
- National Science Foundation Advanced Technology Education grant, which sponsors creating a Cybersecurity technician pipeline in the eastern Kentucky region.
- GenCyber grant program-sponsored by the National Security Agency and National Science Foundation,
which supports teacher and student camps geared toward the following goals:
- Ignite, sustain, and increase awareness of K12 cybersecurity content and cybersecurity postsecondary and career opportunities for participants through year-round engagement;
- Increase student diversity in cybersecurity college and career readiness pathways at the K-12 level; and
- Facilitate teacher readiness within a teacher learning community to learn, develop, and deliver cybersecurity content for the K-12 classroom in collaboration with other nationwide initiatives.