Library Circulation Policies
WHEN BORROWING AN ITEM FROM THE BIG SANDY COMMUNITY AND TECHNICAL COLLEGE LIBRARY
YOU ARE AGREEING THAT YOU WILL ABIDE BY THESE POLICIES AND PROCEDURES.
- If you are a currently enrolled student at Big Sandy Community and Technical College
(BSCTC) or another Kentucky Community and Technical College System (KCTCS) institution
you have borrowing privileges at this library. Please present your college issued
Identification Card at the time of check-out. If you do not have your ID card you
will be asked for other verifying information. Faculty and staff of BSCTC also have
- If you are a student at another school or if you are a community user you must present
a picture ID to be issued a library card. This library card will expire but is renewable
so do not discard. Non-KCTCS borrowers are limited to three items.
- You are responsible for all items checked out to you. If library items are lost or
stolen from you, please notify the library immediately.
- If you have overdue or lost items, you will not be allowed to check out additional
items. An overdue fee of 10 cents per day is charged for books in the circulating
collection. Overdue videos are one dollar per day. Reserves are 25 cents per hour
or $1.00 per day depending on check-out time periods.
If a book from the collection is not returned after 25 days, it is presumed lost and
a replacement cost is assessed. You may be charged the replacement cost for damaged items. To clear your record,
you must pay the replacement cost or return the item and pay the overdue charge. When
the amount owed reaches or exceeds $10.00, the students record will be marked as delinquent
until the account is paid or the item is returned. The student may also be blocked
from registration or obtaining a college transcript until the charge is paid.
- All items must be returned in a library book-drop and must be checked in by the automated
system before the record of the check-out is removed from your name and library card.
Overdue items returned in the book-drop will have an overdue charge assessed. The
charge must be paid to clear your record.
- Address changes must be reported to the library staff at the Circulation Desk. A written
notice of overdue materials and/or fines will be sent to the e-mail or mailing address
on file. Non-receipt of notices does not relieve you of responsibility for overdue materials
Library Computer Use Policies
BY LOGGING ON TO A LIBRARY COMPUTER USING ACCOUNT INFORMATION PROVIDED BY KCTCS, YOU
ARE AGREEING THAT YOU WILL ABIDE BY THESE POLICIES AND PROCEDURES.
- LIBRARY COMPUTERS AND PRINTERS ARE PUBLIC USE. BE AWARE THAT COMPUTER SCREENS AND
PRINTED DOCUMENTS MAY BE VISIBLE TO OTHER USERS. PRINTER ACCESS IS SELF-SERVICE.
- These computers were purchased for student use; therefore, students will have first
priority in their use. If a student is waiting, the non-student will be asked to relinquish
- The primary reason for these computers is for educational purposes.
- No outside software can be installed on the computers.
- Downloading software from the Internet to local or network drives is forbidden.
- Personal files and information left on hard drives or network drives will be removed.
- Deleting or modifying current set-up, configurations, applications, icons, screen
savers is forbidden.
- If a printout of more than 20 pages is needed, check with a library staff member before
printing. Number of pages may be limited.
- Hard drives are erased every night. Users must bring their own jump drives to save
- Users need to have a working knowledge of the program they will be using.
- Personnel reserve the right to place time limits on computer use during peak times.
- The College will not be responsible for items left unattended.
- Children (under 12) must not be left unattended. Children must be properly supervised.
- The computer labs are not to be used for commercial or for profit purposes.
- In accordance with KCTCS Information Technology Responsible Use Policy Section 18.104.22.168.1,
use or allowing use of information technology to access materials that are likely
to be considered pornographic is prohibited.