GenCyber Student Academy
The Big Sandy Community & Technical College (BSCTC) will host a 5-day GenCyber Student Academy for high school students in the BSCTC service area. The BSCTC service area includes Johnson, Floyd, Magoffin, Martin, and Pike counties in eastern Kentucky. The academy's funding will be provided jointly by the National Security Agency (NSA) and the National Science Foundation (NSF) through an award received by Big Sandy Community & Technical College. The GenCyber Student Academy is free of charge for participants.
Experienced high school and college faculty will lead students through lessons and interactive cybersecurity activities throughout the 5-day program scheduled for June 12-16, 2023. The program will focus on cybersecurity concepts and cover topics including online safety, forensics, hardware, operating systems, programming, networking, cryptography, 3D printing, and computer careers.
Email email@example.com with questions.
- Free to all participants
- Students will acquire cybersecurity knowledge and hands-on skills.
- Participants will receive free items for the academy and personal use, such as a Raspberry Pi computing device and Sphero Bolt Programmable Robot.
- Participants will receive a free T-shirt.
- Opportunities for pre-camp and post-camp activities.
- Meals provided
- The academy will be June 12-16, 2023.
- The academy will be in-person at the Prestonsburg Campus of BSCTC.
- The academy is open to thirty (30) high school students.
- Prior knowledge of computers and cybersecurity is not required.
- The academy is open to high school students entering grades 9 – 12 in the following counties: Johnson, Floyd, Magoffin, Martin, and Pike.
- Commitment to participate in the full week of camp.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or permanent resident.
- Participants will submit a recommendation letter from a current or previous teacher or administrator.
Open to High School students within the BSCTC service region. Must be a U.S. Citizen or permanent resident. Prior knowledge of computers and cybersecurity is not required. Participants will be selected based on diversity, the pathways in which they are currently enrolled, and current grade point averages.
- Completed application
- Recommendation letter
- High School Transcript