Students Walking Across Campus

Admission FAQs

Got questions?

We’ve got answers.

When should I complete and return the application?

You should apply as soon as possible before the semester you plan to start. Applying early gives admissions staff plenty of time to contact you for additional information.

How late can I apply?

During registration in January, June, and August, you can complete your application right at the college before registering for classes or you can complete it online in advance. Ideally, however, you should submit your application before registration. Apply Online Now

When do I enroll?

Once you’ve applied, you will receive a letter of acceptance, which will have all the information you need about placement testing, orientation, and registration. Check your KCTCS e-mail on a regular basis for correspondence from the college.

How will I know which classes to take?

Our counselors and academic advisors will help you plan your program based on your previous education, career, and personal goals.

When should I pay for my classes?

You’ll pay for classes before classes begin. Refer to the academic calendar for specific deadlines. We accept Visa, MasterCard, and Discover. If you get financial aid or a scholarship, you can request a tuition deferment until you receive those funds.

Can I talk with a counselor?

Absolutely. You can discuss career plans, course selection, program or degree requirements, transfer requirements, and other academic and social issues.

Will I get an advisor?

Yes! Every student at the college will be assigned an advisor upon admission to the college. It is extremely important to meet with your academic advisor to discuss your program progress on a regular basis.

What if my file is incomplete?

Our Office of Admissions will let you know if we need any additional information. It’s not uncommon for students to enroll initially without submitting all required records. However, if you’re a transfer student, you’ll need to complete your file in order to be eligible for financial aid.

Am I required to declare a major when I submit my application?

No. There is no immediate need for you to declare a major. However, if you do an advisor will be selected based on the program plan in which you select. Declaring a major will also make you eligible for financial aid. If at any time you decide to change your major, please visit the Admissions Office to complete a Student Information Update form. 

What degrees, diplomas, and certificate programs do you offer?

We offer a wide array of programs leading to associate degrees, diplomas, and certificates. Please visit our Programs of Study page.

How long will it take me to earn a degree?

You can tailor our program to fit your needs. If you attend full time, you can expect to complete a degree program in four to six semesters. Attending part time allows you additional semesters to complete your degree.

How many credits will I need?

Both the Associate in Arts and Associate in Science degrees require 60 credit hours. Applied Science degree programs may require between 62 and 77 credit hours.

What options do I have for attending class?

We’ve got several options to help you tailor the program to fit your life. Our counselors can help you decide among:

  • Part time or full time
  • Day and evening classes
  • On- and off-campus sites
  • Distance learning classes, including interactive television, and online study.

What is my Student ID number?

Your Student ID number will be provided to you when you complete your online application. Before submitting the last page it is advisable to take note of your application number and your Student ID number for future reference. If you have access to a printer, please print the last page of the online application before clicking submit. Also, you will be receiving an acceptance letter to the e-mail address that you provided on your application. The acceptance letter will provide your Student ID number as well. Please note that we cannot provide confidential information via phone. Therefore, a visit to a local KCTCS Admissions and Records Office may be required to obtain assistance.

How do I setup my student email account?

Setting up your KCTCS webmail account is easy. First, you need to locate your Student ID number. Next, simply activate your account here. If you need further assistance, please contact our IT Department.

What kind of financial aid is available to me?

We participate in a full range of federal and state programs. Applying may seem overwhelming, but our staff is trained to assist you and answer all your questions. Apply for financial aid now.